|This tool has been developed in response to a request from the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene and is designed to be used in conjunction with the Codex Guidelines for the Control of Campylobacter and Salmonella in chicken meat. It has been developed in an iterative manner which has enabled input and critique to be obtained from a range of risk assessment and poultry experts as well as potential users of the tool. FAO and WHO would therefore like to express their appreciation to all those who have contributed to the development of this tools.|
- Tool developers: Risk Sciences International Inc.
- Participants of the following Codex meetings who provided initial input on the tool structure and the required functionality and feedback and suggestions on the several Beta versions of the tool which were presented at these meetings.
- Codex Committee on Food Hygiene Physical Working Group on the proposed draft guidelines for the control of Campylobacter and Salmonella in chicken meat, Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil, September 2009
- 41st session of the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene, San Diego, United States of America, 16 – 20 November 2009
- 42nd session of the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene, Kampala, Uganda, 29 November – 3 December 2010.
- Participants of the FAO/WHO meeting on Salmonella and Campylobacter in chicken meat, Rome Italy, 4 – 8 May 2009 and the pre-meeting electronic working group (full list of participants available here: http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/i1133e/i1133e.pdf), who assessed the feasibility to develop this tool and provided guidance on its development .
- The following peer reviewers who undertook a review of the tool and provided their comments in the first quarter of 2010, participated in a physical peer-review meeting on 10 – 12 May 2010 and undertook a further review of the updated tool in the first quarter of 2011.
Wayne Anderson, Food Safety Authority of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Eric G. Evers, RIVM – Centre for Infectious Disease Control, Bilthoven, the Netherlands
Aamir Fazil, Public Health Agency of Canada, Guelph, Canada
Neal J. Golden, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington DC, United States of America
Charles N. Haas, Department of Civil, Architectural & Environmental Engineering, Philadelphia, United States of America
Fumiko Kasuga, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Tokyo, Japan
Geoff Mead, Private Consultant, Bath, United Kingdom
Roland Lindqvist, National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden
Vladimir Nascimento, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Porto Alegro, Argentina
George Nasinyama, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Maarten Nauta, Technical University of Denmark, Søborg, Denmark
Mark Powell, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington DC, United States of America
Emma Punton-Li, Food Standards Agency, London, United Kingdom
Marcos X. Sanchez-Plata, Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture, IICA, Miami, United States of America
Tom Ross, School of Agricultural Science/Tasmanian Institute of Agricultural Research, Hobart, Australia
Peter van der Logt, New Zealand Food Safety Authority, Wellington, New Zealand
Marcel Zwietering, Wageningen University Agrotechnology & Food Sciences, Wageningen, the Netherlands
- Geoff Mead, Neal Golden and Eric Evers for preparation of Appendix A to the user guide.
- The following experts and their institutions who used the information available to them locally on their chicken meat production and processing systems to test the application of the tool and provide feedback on their experience which enabled further refinement of the tool.
Mieke Uyttendaele and Ihab Habib, Department of Food Safety and Food Quality, Ghent University, Belgium
Jennifer Holtzman, Angela Catford and Denise Oudit, Health Canada, Ottawa, Canada
Hajime Toyofuku, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Tokyo, Japan
Peter Van Der Logt and Steve Hathaway, New Zealand Food Safety Authority, Wellington, New Zealand